11/21/08

November 20, 2008

By the time I get this written it will be time to do the next one!
Some weeks are like that, right?


Last Friday evening some of us attended the High School musical, My Fair Lady.
What talented youth to act and sing so well. They were marvelous. It was a wonderful evening of song and dance. Thanks students for an entertaining evening.

From the feel of it, winter is here. The wind is really cold...and it will get worse as time goes on.

A week from today is Thanksgiving Day. And there are so many things to be thankful for. One of the things I am thankful for is that Linzy Martin, SFO, from Iowa, was not more seriously hurt than he was. He hit black ice this past week, totaled his car and rolled three or four times and they needed the jaws-of-life to extricate him. He has cuts and bruises, but no broken bones. The angels were really busy protecting him from further injury. I am thankful, too, for my family and friends and all those who care for me in any way. I am thankful, too, to all of our Community donors and those who assist us in any way.

Sr. Georgine submitted some interesting Turkey Trivia in our newsletter for this week.
Some things I learned or remembered again were:

  • The first Thanksgiving was celebrated in 1621.
  • Benjamin Franklin was the great American statesman who lobbied to make the turkey the national symbol. (I’m glad the eagle won out.)
  • A mature turkey has about 3,500 feathers. (I wonder who counted them.)
  • Minnesota produces the most turkeys annually.
  • Arkansas is third in turkey production. (I don’t know who is second.)
  • The Wampanoag Tribe was the Indian Tribe that celebrated the first Thanksgiving with the colonists.
  • The name of the skin that hangs from a turkey’s neck is called a wattle.
  • Abraham Lincoln was the U.S. President who specified that the Thanksgiving holiday be celebrated on the last Thursday of November.
  • The best way to defrost a turkey is in cold water.
  • Wild turkeys can run up to 25 mph.
Tonight I will go to Brainerd for the Formation class for our three candidates for the Secular Franciscan Order. We meet at St. Andrews Parish in one of their meeting rooms.

God bless you. Have a safe and good weekend.
Pax et Bonum.
Sister Mary Lou


No comments: